A combination of two of my favourite comfort foods, fresh home-made pasta and squash, these stuffed Mezzelune are worth the time to make!
What you need:
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of semolina flour
A pinch of salt
3 eggs (two for dough 1 for egg wash)
3 tlbs water
1/2 butter nut squash
2 tlbs brown sugar (optional)
2 tlbs olive oil
1) Mix flours and salt, create a volcano like shape. Beat 2 eggs with water and slowly pour in, taking breaks to knead in with hands.
2) Continuing kneading for about 10 mins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for around 1 hour.
3) This is a good time to start on the filling. Cut squash in half, drizzle with oil, sprinkle brown sugar. roast at 350 degrees celsius for about 45 mins.
4) Remove squash from oven, let cool for 10 mins. Remove from skin with a spoon, mash.
Feel free to play with seasoning, nutmeg, sage, and/or pepper work well.
5) Split dough in half (making it easier to work with). Roll dough out into a long rectangle. This takes a little elbow gresse.
6) Spoon tlbs of squash out 1 1/2 inch apart, onto half of the dough, (leaving half to overlap).
Beat 1 egg (this is the egg wash) and brush edges.
7) Fold dough over covering the filling.
8) Cut with favourite cookie cutter, I used a large flower, making the edges easy to pinch close.
9) Pop into boiling water cook of 8-10 mins. Top with favourite sauce. I enjoy them with a drizzle of olive oil. Pesto works well too!